Acne usually occurs during adolescence and persists into adulthood. It is a long term skin condition that occurs due to clogged pores and hair follicles. This large, inflamed pores imposes an array of problems to the skin’s overall health. Excess sebum, dead skin cells begin to fill to the brim of the pores, forming various sorts of acne. The more common features of acne include blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and fungal acne etc.
You can usually spot acne in highly oily areas with high density of oil glands, such as the face, chest and back. Sometimes, these trouble spots tend to be itchy and irritated, which would lead to picking and scratching of these affected areas. Those who didn’t know any better and picked at the pimples often times leads to acne scarring as the wound did not have sufficient time to heal. The tedious cycle of picking scabs and reforming of scabs hinders the proper healing process resulting in acne scarring.
Though it is worth nothing that scarring is a common outcome of trauma to the skin. Even if you did not pick at your pimples, severe acne such as hormonal acne which leads to deep, chronic inflammation is incredibly damaging to the skin and increases the risk of scarring.
Regardless of where the acne scars originated from, let us explore acne scar treatments to understand how to get rid of acne scars.
How Do You Get Rid of Acne Scars?
In order to figure out potential acne scar treatment, it is important to identify the underlying causes. Susceptibility for acne is largely hereditary. Meaning, if there seems to be a pedigree of chronic, hormonal acne that runs in your family, you are more likely to get acne than the average person. There are also other reasons for acne, such as poor diet, lack of sleep, a generally unhealthy lifestyle and external skin aggressors. Sometimes, acne is also caused by a combination of all these factors.
Facial scars have a strong correlation to period of inflammation - the longer your skin is inflamed, the more bacteria it harbours and the deeper the inflamation. This increases the probability of a scar developing after healing. Therefore, it is quintessential to source for acne scar treatment.
There are some additional steps you can add to your skincare routine to aid in your acne scar healing journey. Exfoliation, proper sunscreen usage and, addition of a retinol or other active ingredients would definitely help reduce acne scarring.
What Products Gets Rid of Acne Scars?
Treatment of acne scars at home is possible through some tweaks to your skincare routine. Exfoliation is key for acne scar treatment, especially facial scars. The dead skin cells that accumulate can be gently exfoliated away using an alpha or beta hydroxy acid. An alpha hydroxy acid is something like glycolic acid, which has a smaller molecular size and can penetrate the skin deeper to loosen dead skin cells. A beta hydroxy acid such as salicylic acid has a bigger molecular size and thus does not aggravate the skin as compare to an alpha hydroxy acid.
We would recommend starting 2 times a week and gradually work up as your skin’s tolerance increases. Exfoliation would gently buff away the dead skin cells and thus leverage your skin’s texture and the indentations from scarring.
Retinols, Vitamin C and Alpha Arbutin are all great products for acne scars treatment.
Is Vitamin C Good for Acne Scar Treatment?
The array of benefits reaped from Vitamin C are not limited to treatment of acne scars. It promotes collagen production by activating the transcription of collagen synthesis. It also acts as a depigmenting agent and inhibits action of enzyme tyrosinase which is key in melanin formation and responsible for hyperpigmentation.
Vitamin C is incredibly good for acne scars treatment because of its anti-inflammatory action. It is responsible for the activation of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Cytokines are crucial signalling molecules to trigger the immune response. Hence, Vitamin C promotes wound healing and prevents post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Are Acne Scars Permanent?
Acne scars are usually permanent, so treatment of acne scars at home are crucial in preventing further damage to your skin. Though the common question is how to get rid of acne scars, prevention is always better than treatment.
The key factor to treating acne scars is in prevention. The acne scars correlate to period of inflammation, therefore it is important to address the inflammation before it becomes a scar. Reduce picking and squeezing pimples if possible. You can put a pimple patch to protect the pimple for external aggressors. Treatment for acne scars should be done as soon as possible.
How to treat acne scars
Best skin toner for acne scars
A toner for oily skin can be one of the most important tools in the fight against oily sheen, enlarged pores, and other imperfections. The task of the tonic is to restore the skin pH after washing (contact with tap water), remove cleanser residues, moisturize cells, and prepare the skin for subsequent care. It is used as the second step of a daily skincare routine. The following skin care products for acne scars are the best ones:
- Evenswiss edelweiss toner guarantees intensive cleansing of acne scars and narrows pores, thus preventing their clogging. The formula moisturizes, softens, and regenerates the dermis.
- Pca skin hydrating toner cleanses the skin well without dehydrating, moisturizes, and refreshes at the same time. Its formula acts deeply, normalizing the lipid balance.
- Indeed labs bakuchiol pads are perfect for aging skin due to the use of a clinically approved formula with Bakuchiol. It stimulates skin rejuvenation, repairs damaged cells, and hydrates the dermis.
Best exfoliators for acne scars
Facial scrubs for acne-prone skin will help keep your skin clear, smooth, and revitalized as exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells, grease, dirt, and products that have accumulated on your skin. Moreover, a good exfoliator does not allow pores to get clogged, leaving your skin looking radiant and flawless. The following products are suitable for skin care for acne scars:
- Osmosis polish cleanses gently and exfoliates the skin, making it soft and velvety, visibly evens out the tone. The product contains lactic acid and cranberry enzymes in its formula, which exfoliate the surface without damaging its protective lipid layer.
- Pca skin micropeel at-home kit is designed to cleanse the dermis by exfoliating dal cells and other pollutants. The kit contains 10 treatments for all stages of skincare. Thus, the kit is a super-charged tool for normalizing the skin condition and ensuring comprehensible care.
- Biretix micropeel purifying exfoliant treatment has a gentle formula that removes dirt and dead cells from the skin surface, leaving it nourished and healthy. The product contains vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that repair dead cells, soothe the dermis, and increase collagen production and blood flow.
Best serums for acne scars
Serums for acne skin are distinguished by a high concentration of active substances that cause a point effect on applied areas. They have a light texture and are absorbed well without leaving a greasy film on the surface. The anti-acne facial serum makes the subsequent care more effective. The most powerful treatments include:
- Evenswiss brightening intense treatment reduces skin oiliness, evens out the skin surface, and cleanses the pores. The blend of vitamin C and other active ingredients is aimed at regenerating the skin matrix.
- Osmosis renew causes a deep-action effect. Penetrating into cells, the serum stimulates regeneration processes and nourishes the derma. The innovative formula creates a lifting effect and tightens pores, thereby significantly improving skin relief.
- Evenswiss eventone serum is targeted at eliminating dark pigment spots and pimple marks. Its active formula is rich in antioxidants and vitamin B3, which penetrate deeply into cells and improve the skin complexion.
Best sunscreen for acne scars
Problematic skin, like any other, needs protection from the sun. But, choosing an SPF sunscreen for this type of derma is a difficult task because the formula should not clog pores and provoke acne. When choosing sunscreen with SPF, products with comedogenic ingredients should be avoided. The best skin care products for scars are:
- Heliocare 360 pigment solution fluid provides high protection against UV light, burns, and photodermatitis and prevents photoaging and skin neoplasms. The product visibly reduces shine and controls sebum production.
- Heliocare 360 mineral tolerance fuild contains 4 types of filters (including minerals) that reliably protect the skin from damage and sun pigmentation. It has a light texture due to which it is suitable for oily and problematic skin.
- Heliocare oil free spf 50 creates reliable protection against the sun and its negative impact on the dermis. The product contains ferulic acid and vitamins E and C. A protective layer withholds free radicals and other UV rays that cause skin aging and worsening.
Best acne scar treatment with vitamin C
The benefits of vitamin C for the skin include preventing pigmentation, accelerating the renewal of skin cells, and restoring the production of its own hyaluronic acid. It participates in the formation of collagen fibers, helps restore the lipid barrier, and slows down the aging process by reducing the production of metalloproteinases in cells. This is why it is so popular in the cosmetic industry. The following products are rich in Vitamin C:
- Endocare c pure concentrate is a powerful antioxidant complex that fights oxidative processes and allows the skin to stay young longer. The product is effective in preventing premature aging and normalizing skin processes. As a result, the dermis becomes fresh, radiant, and good-looking.
- Endocare c ferulic edafence serum is a powerful tool that causes a deep effect and protects cells from pollution. With regular use, the facial tone is evened out, the pores become less noticeable, and the first wrinkles are smoothed out.
- Calecim professional pigment solution is a powerful antioxidant that strengthens the protective functions of the epidermis, evens out face relief, and moisturizes calls thanks to the hyaluronic acid included in the composition.
The modern market offers diverse products for problem skin. Yet, it is important to find the best solutions for your dermis. The above-mentioned ones are guaranteed to be certified, clinically tested and approved.