There is a common belief that it is prohibited to use retinol in summer. In fact, there is no reason to avoid this ingredient, and for some people, it is even advisable. The main thing is to know how to apply skincare products with retinol correctly. This is what we're going to clarify in the article.
People believe that retinol and its derivatives are extremely undesirable in the summer, as they have a photosensitizing property, that is, they increase the negative effects of the sun. This often causes increased pigmentation, burns (redness) up to the formation of a crust, skin overdrying, and, as a result, loss of elasticity and premature aging. So, let's find out the answer to the question “Can you use retinol in the summer?”.
General Concept of Dermatologists
Many dermatologists say in favor of using retinol even in summer. They believe that if properly applied, no negative effect will be caused.
Retinol stands as an umbrella term for all ingredients derived from vitamin A. This component is responsible for combating aging signs and preventing premature aging. Thus, such products can be included in a skincare routine all year round. This rule is applicable to patients who use prescribed retinol treatments. In this case, lacking this ingredient for half a year will lead to ineffective treatment. Moreover, retinol causes many benefits to cells, which are needed regardless of the season.
Benefits of Retinol Treatment
At first, retinoids act effectively in preventing sun damage. Retinol is effective in blocking collagen breakdown due to excessive sun exposure. Thus, by applying retinol in summer, people can reduce the negative impact of the sun on the skin. For this purpose, photostable retinyl retinoate comes as the most effective solution. It is designed for morning application.
Secondly, retinol makes the epidermis thicker. While some people believe that the ingredient thinners the skin, it is another myth. In fact, vitamin A derivatives stimulate elastin and collagen production, thus, thickening the epidermis. This benefit makes the face surface firm, strong, and resistant to external impacts.
How to use Retinol in Summer?
As mentioned above, the main thing is to use skincare products with retinoids correctly. If applied properly, you won’t harm your skin but will improve its condition. Here are the main rules for applying retinol in summer:
- Start slow. The main concern of retinol application in summer is that the skin gets irritated and can peel off under the influence of the sun. The main thing is to introduce retinol-rich products in small amounts to let cells get used to the ingredient. Give your skin time to adjust to a new component.
- Use retinoid-rich products at night. Retinol increases skin photosensitivity, meaning that cells become more exposed to sun influence. Moreover, retinoids break down under the direct impact of UV light. Thus, skincare products with a high concentration of retinol are designed for application at night.
- Hydrate sufficiently. Applying a moisturizer above retinoid serum is the most effective strategy for skincare routine. A cream attracts liquid to cells and nourishes them, locking vital ingredients. This strategy allows achieving the maximum benefit from using retinol in summer without causing skin irritation or dryness.
- Stick to the regular use of SPF. When being exposed to the sun continuously, remember to apply SPF products to create a reliable protective layer against free radicals and radiation. If you use retinol products at night, make sure to protect your face with SPF in the morning.
- Treat your skin type seriously. Note that retinol-rich products are recommended for a limited category of people, meaning that some users should better avoid such products. These include people with sensitive or dark, pigmentation-prone skin, as well as the ones who use exfoliating products with AHAs frequently.
TOP Retinol Products for Safe Use in Summer
Now, let's list the most effective and low-risk products with retinoids. If you want to use retinol in summer, these treatments will be the best solution.
- PCA Skin Intensive Brightening Treatment 0.5% Pure Retinol Night is a powerful product with a high concentration of retinol. It is designed to fight hyperpigmentation and discoloration. The treatment is used for coping with all sorts of skin imperfections, making the surface radiant, smooth, and even.
- Biretix Duo Anti-Blemish Gel is a super-charged treatment for problematic skin. It has a gel consistency and causes a deep action. The product is designed to cope with breakouts, acne, and clogged pores. Penetrating deeply into cells, active ingredients boost cell renovation processes, improving skin complexion and radiance.
- Evenswiss Rejuvenating Décolleté Cream is an effective product for the facial, neck, and décolleté zones. Its active formula is designed to treat gentle skin in these areas, providing deep nourishment and boosting collagen production. The product causes a lifting and thickening effect, reduces free radicals, and reinforces the skin's hydrolipidic barrier.
- Osmosis Renew Advanced Retinal Serum is an effective treatment with a high concentration of vitamin A. Due to its targeted action, components penetrate deeply into cells, stimulating collagen and elastin production. Besides, the blend reverses aging signs, improves skin complexion, and copes with post-acne scars. The result of the regular application is visible in 4 weeks.
- Indeed Labs Retinol Reface is a powerful product charged with retinol microspheres. Besides vitamin A, its formula contains Bakuchiol and peptides to minimize skin peeling and dehydration. Ingredients penetrate deeply into cells, stabilizing intracellular processes and improving the skin surface. The treatment helps reduce sensitivity and hide aging signs.
- Zenii Skin Fusion is a food supplement. While it is packed with the highest concentration of marine collagen, it is also rich in other ingredients, including Vitamin A. The regular consumption of this supplement eliminates oxidative stress, helps cope with the loss of skin elasticity, and reduces inflammation.
To sum up, note that although the application of retinol in summer needs particular attention, it is not forbidden. There is no reason to reject using retinoid-rich products in a hot season. The main rule is to know how to do it correctly and approach this treatment wisely. If you’re not in a restricted group, you can continue applying your products in any season.