Sun rays are harmful to the skin. Constant exposure to ultraviolet light will lead to photoaging and the premature appearance of age spots, pigmentation, and wrinkles. Thus, it is very important to use sunscreen.
SPF is a sun protection factor. The SPF value indicates the level of sunburn protection provided by sunscreen. Sunscreens are made in a wide range of SPFs.
How does SPF work?
Sunscreens (creams and sprays) act on the skin in two ways, protecting against the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation:
- Reflect. Most products create a thin layer of "screen" that scatters and reflects sun rays.
- Absorb. Some products work as sun absorbers. They stop ultraviolet radiation, absorb it, and prevent it from penetrating into the skin.
Is SPF 30 or 50 better for the face?
The higher the SPF indicator is, the better. The number defines the level of protection. Thus, the higher this number, the more reliable a screen layer is created on your skin. Good sunscreen for the face has a minimum of 30 SPF.
What type of sunscreen is the healthiest?
Here, there is not a single answer. All skincare products are tested to be safe. According to your needs and skin type, there is a need to buy a lighter or denser product. Yet, all of them are designed to protect your skin.
Is it safe to use SPF 50 every day?
Yes, SPF 50 sunscreen is suitable for daily use. Yet, if you do not leave your house, there is no need to apply it since a protective layer is quite thick.
How do I choose sunscreen?
When choosing the best sunscreen for the face, make sure to consider the following criteria:
- The level of SPF. Depending on your phototype, you need different sunscreens. For example, white-skin people with blond hair should choose sunscreen with a higher SPF (50), while dark-haired and dark-skin people can use SPF 30-40.
- Type of skin. Owners of oily skin should give preference to a light-texture product with mattifying and anti-inflammatory properties. Dry skin requires a non-greasy cream that is formulated with moisturizing ingredients. Sensitive skin comes as the most problematic option, for which sunscreens are produced, taking into account the characteristics of reactive skin.
- The content, ingredients, and chemical composition. Products containing alcohol should be avoided. These are, as a rule, various gels and sprays. It is optimal if the composition contains plant extracts and extracts, oils.
Benefits of wearing sunscreen on the face every day
Sunscreen does not just protect against painful sunburn, it helps prevent your skin from aging. Studies have shown that the regular use of sunscreen protects the face from photoaging: wrinkles, blemishes, and loss of elasticity caused by exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
When to apply sunscreen on the face?
Apply sunscreen 20-30 minutes before sun exposure. This pause is necessary so that stable sunscreen film forms on the face surface.
Another important question is "when to apply sunscreen before or after face cream?". Note that it is applied after your daily moisturizer. Make sure to follow your daily care routine and then, when the moisturizer is absorbed, apply the sunscreen.
How to apply face sunscreen?
Do you wonder how to apply face sunscreen? Keep in mind the following rules:
- Apply the cream carefully, without missing a single millimeter of skin. According to the regulations, 1.25 ml of cream with SPF should go to the face. With a decrease in the recommended dose, the degree of protection decreases.
- To be on the safe side, apply two coats of sunscreen, allowing the first coat to dry for the right amount of time.
- Update the layer regularly. Do this every two hours on the beach. Indoors (unless it is a gym) reapplication is not required.
- Treat your tan wisely and don`t spend too much time under the sun.
- If you plan to apply foundation over SPF, make sure your sunscreen is completely dry so you don`t risk rubbing or smearing it.
How much sunscreen to use on the face?
Do you know how much sunscreen to use on the face? You need to apply at least 2 milligrams of the cream per square centimeter of the skin. That is 1/2 teaspoon for the entire face and neck. According to research, most people apply much less.
To make it easier to measure the right amount, use the three-finger method: an amount of sunscreen in 3 strips the length of your finger will provide complete protection.
How long does sunscreen last on the face?
Do you have an idea of how long does sunscreen last on the face? If you do not plan to sweat a lot, then the sunscreen protection will last 2-4 hours. But, if you`re heading to the beach, you`re better prefer a waterproof sunscreen in addition to your moisturizer. The best sunscreen for the face should not only protect from the sun but also contain antioxidants that counteract free radicals.
Is it important to put sunscreen on your face every day?
Dermatologists recommend not leaving the house (especially, in summer) without sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, even if you have a strong phototype. People with more UV-prone skin should use 50 SPF.
Best sunscreens for the face from Dermoi
Below, let`s make a list of the best products for skin protection. We offer the most suitable options for each skin type.
How we tested products?
Dermoi is a trusted seller of skin care products. We help select the best sunscreen for the face in the UK. Our experts test probes and get in contact with manufacturers to obtain information about product contents, ingredients, etc. The team includes skilled dermatologists, immunologists, and cosmetologists.
Best daily face sunscreen
If you`re searching for a safe product for daily use, here are the top options:
Best mineral sunscreen for the face
Are you looking for the best mineral sunscreen for the face in the UK? These products guarantee a durable effect and reliable protection.
- Osmosis Protect SPF 30 is the best mineral sunscreen for the face. The product effectively fights all sorts of harmful rays, including UVB and UVA.
- Heliocare 360 mineral tolerance fluid is an effective mineral sunscreen for the face. The product does not allow HEV, infrared, UVA, and UVB rays to negatively impact the face skin.
Best oil-free sunscreen for the face
Do you want to find high-quality oil-free sunscreen for the face? Try the following products:
- Heliocare 360 Gel oil-free SPF50 is the best oil-free sunscreen for the face. Its natural components create an invisible protective layer to prevent cells from aging.
- Heliocare 360 color gel oil-free SPF50+ is non-oily sunscreen for the face. The product helps fight the negative influences of sun rays and all sorts of radiation, prolonging a young complexion.
Oil-free face sunscreen is a good solution for sensitive skin.
Best face sunscreen for oily skin
Sunrays provoke the sebaceous glands of the skin to work more actively. Thus, exposure to the sun for owners of oily and problem skin can negatively affect the condition of their epidermis, which is why it is important to find suitable face sunscreen for oily skin.
- Heliocare 360 Airgel SPF50 is the best face sunscreen for oily skin. It creates a protective layer against rays without clogging pores and causing extra sebum production.
Best face sunscreen for acne-prone skin
If your skin is prone to inflammation and acne, you should approach the choice of appropriate face sunscreen for acne-prone skin seriously. Here`s a good option for such cases:
- Heliocare 360 Pigment Solution Fluid is the best face sunscreen for acne-prone skin. It protects vulnerable cells from the negative impact of the sun. The product does not clog pores, allowing the skin to breathe.
Best face sunscreen for sensitive skin
If you have sensitive skin on your face, finding the right sunscreen can be a challenge. Some components of SPF sun protection can cause itching, tingling, and inflammatory red rashes. The following products are guaranteed to be effective:
- Heliocare 360 AK Fluid is the best face sunscreen for sensitive skin. It perfectly fits different facial zones without causing problems.
- Osmosis Protect SPF 30 is the best face sunscreen for sensitive skin in the UK. A protective layer without irritation is created. The product is effective in reflecting all sorts of rays.
- Dermaceutic K Ceutic SPF 50 is good face sunscreen for sensitive skin. It provides the highest level of protection while treating cells gently.
Best non-greasy face sunscreen
Are you seeking quality non-greasy sunscreen for the face in the UK? Here are high-quality options:
- MZ Skin Tint & protect is the best non-greasy face sunscreen. Reliable durable protection against radiation, infrared light, and sunrays is provided.
- PCA Skin weightless protection broad spectrum SPF 45 is the best non-greasy sunscreen for the face. It forms a thin film on the face surface, while it perfectly protects cells from UV influence, not letting free radicals reach them.
- Heliocare 360 water gel spf50 is non-greasy sunscreen for the face. The highest level of protection makes it perfect for people with light skin. The protective barrier lasts up to 5 hours.
Best sunscreen for the face under makeup
Do you want to use sunscreen and then apply makeup? Here are well-compatible options for application together with decorative cosmetic tools:
- PCA Skin weightless protection SPF 45 is the best sunscreen for the face under makeup. The product does not interact with makeup tools. The protective layer is preserved for up to 4 hours.
- PCA Skin hydrator plus broad spectrum SPF30 is the best budget face sunscreen in the UK. The product reliably protects cells from UV rays. It is suitable for the application of makeup above it.
- Heliocare 360 airgel SPF50 is the best sunscreen for the face under makeup in the UK. It works effectively against all types of radiance, creating a durable protecting film on the face surface.
Skin protection from sun rays is an important factor as ultraviolet radiation leads to premature aging. The assortment of sunscreens on the market allows you to find the right product for every skin type and protect your face from the negative influence of the sun.