Many changes in the human body occur under the influence of hormones. The condition of the skin is no exception because the hormonal background affects the activity of the sebaceous glands.
Entering teenage years is inevitably accompanied by hormonal changes. It is impossible to predict at what age this will happen and what consequences it will have. It depends both on hereditary factors and individual characteristics of the organism. Yet, it is a common fact that an overwhelming majority of boys and girls aged from 12 to 16 suffer from acne of varying severity.
Below, we're going to consider what problems teenagers are most likely to face and how to develop the best skincare for teens to eliminate the negative effects of hormonal changes and enjoy a well-looking appearance without severe inflammation.
Main Skin Problems Nearly Every Teen Faces
Let's start by listing the most common skin problems that are typical for teenage skin.
- Dark spots. Excess sebum and a violation of keratinization, that is the formation and exfoliation of skin cells, leading to the appearance of a so-called “plug” that fills the sebaceous hair duct.
- Acne. Acne on the face of a teenager can take different forms, namely, small red rashes, pustules, blockages, black dots, and painful nodes.
- Oiliness. Hormonal surges stimulate the production of sebum, so the skin often has an oily sheen during this period.
Thus, it is extremely important to help the skin fight transition hormonal changes. Properly selected teen skincare products will help reduce the degree of skin inflammation. The choice of a skincare routine strategy depends on the type and severity of skin problems. It is recommended to consult a cosmetologist or dermatologist before selecting skincare products. A skilled specialist will consult you on appropriate ingredients and blends.
About Skin Types
Each skin type has its features that determine the specifics of suitable skincare. For example, dry skin requires extra hydration, while an oily teenage skincare routine is aimed at normalizing the work of sebaceous glands. Thus, choose an appropriate skincare strategy, depending on your skin type.
Boys and girls with a normal type are lucky because they do not experience any problems. They are not bothered by either excess fat or discomfort from dryness. However, even perfect skin needs regular care.
While the vast majority of boys and girls report an increase in skin oiliness in this period, some teenagers can have dry epidermis. This happens when pores produce an insufficient amount of sebum to protect against the negative influence of external factors. This type is characterized by a feeling of tightness, peeling, and dullness.
It is characterized by excessive production of sebum on the face surface. It features a noticeable oily sheen on the forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin. Inflammation occurs in particular due to the accumulation of dead cells on the surface of the skin.
This skin type combines areas of oily, dry, or normal skin.
In order to minimize or even avoid teenage acne and related problems, the daily teen skincare routine should consist of 4 main steps: cleansing, toning, moisturizing, and sun protection. The strategy is the same for all types, while the preferable skincare products will differ, depending on the demands of your epidermis. Still, answering the question “What skincare should a teenager use?”, the following stages are obligatory in any case:
- Cleansing. The step implies purifying the face surface from all sorts of contaminants, including dust, debris, bacteria, and makeup.
- Toning. This is the final stage of cleansing and the preliminary step of basic care. The physiological pH of the skin changes towards alkaline while washing with foam, and the tonic helps normalize it.
- Moisturizing. The application of cream nourishes and hydrates cells, supplying vital ingredients and strengthening the skin's barrier.
- Sun protection. Applying sunscreen on the skin surface protects cells from UV radiation and prevents free radicals from penetrating them.
Note that proper teenage skincare is carried out twice a day, in the morning and in the evening.
Skincare Mistakes Teens Should Avoid
Trying to eliminate skincare problems and hide visible imperfections, teenagers tend to make mistakes that can result in more severe consequences later. Thus, make sure to avoid these mistakes:
- Overuse of acne products. Abundant use of various acne products deprives even oily skin of moisture, disrupting its hydro-lipid mantle.
- Misuse of face masks. Face masks are very effective when used correctly. Many mistakenly believe that the longer you keep the mask on the skin, the better. In fact, too long a stay of the product on the face will lead to a negative effect, such as skin overdrying.
- Strong exfoliation. Don't overburden sensitive skin; instead, pick one product and use it 1--2 times a week.
- Lack of a methodical approach. Frequent product changes and the lack of a stable routine simply do not allow you to evaluate the effectiveness of your teenage skincare. You need to use products regularly for 30 days to 3 months to see a difference in your skin condition.
- Ignoring sunscreen. SPF products are used to combat aging, burns, and the destruction of skin cells. Sunscreen should be applied every day to protect young skin from UV radiation and prevent potential problems.
Skincare Routine for Teens
Now, let's get down to the list of the most effective products for teenage epidermis. Below, you'll find what are the best products for teenage skin. The provided products are guaranteed to be tested, certified, and high-quality.
Best Cleansers for Teens
- PCA Skin Facial Wash Oily/Problem is an effective purifier that removes all sorts of dirt and pollutants (makeup, sebum, bacteria) from the face surface. Its foam consistency melts debris and dust and cleanses pores deeply. Cells are ready for further nourishment and hydration after the application of this product.
- Osmosis Purify Enzyme Cleanser is a powerful pollution remover based on botanical extracts. Its fruit enzyme formula ensures deep purification and pore unclogging, without disrupting the lipid layer. The product removes contaminants without drying and prepares cells for toning and moisturizing.
- Dermaceutic Foamer 5 is a rich-formula purifier for skincare routine for teens. The product has a high concentration of 5% glycolic acid that dissolves and removes all types of contaminants, including waterproof makeup and pathogenic microorganisms. Besides, it causes a gentle exfoliating effect.
- Osmosis Deep Clean Detox Cleanser is a powerful remover of impurities and other environmental pollutants. The purifier features a high content of botanical extracts and oils, due to which it dissolves debris without dehydrating cells and disrupting their protective barrier.
Best Masks for Teens
- PCA Skin Detoxifying Mask is an effective purifying product for cleansing pores and exfoliating dead cells. The formula consists of Algae, Pumice, Charcoal, and Kaolin, which detoxify cells without irritation. Its regular application minimizes the appearance of new blackheads.
- BiRetix Micropeel Purifying Exfoliant Treatment is a super product for the best skincare for teens. It causes an anti-inflammatory effect and purifies cells from contaminants. The mask is effective in neutralizing spot-causing bacteria and reducing irritation and redness.
It is not enough to apply skincare products from the outside. Nourishing cells from the inside is another important part of a healthy condition of the epidermis. Thus, the following supplements are designed to supply vital elements to cells and improve their health and performance.
- Vida Glow Clear Advanced Repair is a nutrient-rich pack of capsules, aimed at reducing oiliness, blackheads, and inflammation. The supplement is designed for daily use; its regular consumption improves the skin tone, adds radiance, and eliminates skin imperfections.
- ZENii ProClear is an effective anti-inflammatory treatment that strengthens cells from the inside, supplying vital components and boosting skin renovation processes. The product features high antioxidant protection to fight photoaging and make the face surface radiant and smooth.
- Osmosis Skin Defense is a powerful product for teenage skincare. The product is rich in detoxifying components to purify cells from the inside and boost their performance. As a result, skin renovation is boosted, the face complexion looks radiant and smooth, and the tone is even.
Teenage skin requires particular treatment since the body undergoes hormonal changes in this period, which significantly influences the epidermis. Yet, it is possible to prevent or at least minimize the worsening of the skin condition and the appearance of blackheads and acne if developing proper skincare. It is essential to take care of cells daily. Now, you know what skincare products should a teenager use to help cells cope with age changes. Fortunately, the modern market offers a great diversity of products for any budget, purpose, and skin type. So, it is possible to pick a suitable treatment for everyone.