The modern market flourishes with hundreds of skincare products. Which ones are the best? How to choose a suitable set of care products? The main thing is to realize what type of skin you have. Until you understand the features of your skin, you won`t be able to pick proper skincare.
Sensitive skin is one of the three most popular types of skin. Below, we`re going to consider what features this skin type has, how to treat it, and what products are the most effective.
Peculiarities of Sensitive Skin
First of all, note that any type of skin (dry, oily, mature) can become sensitive. It is a temporary feature of cells. It is caused by multiple environmental or physiological factors. Sensitivity can be caused by a negative external impact (bad environmental situation in the region of residence, dust and gas contamination of the metropolis, severe frosts, etc.), chlorinated or too "hard" water, poor-quality cosmetics, stress, poor sleep, and many other factors. As a result, a person has a constant feeling of dryness and "tightness" of the skin surface. The following signs of the sensitive epidermis are highlighted:
- a painful and unpredictable reaction to touch, fatigue, and stress;
- peeling off after washing with water;
- is prone to redness, inflammation, and focal acne;
- a weakly expressed stratum corneum and low pigmentation;
- suffering from a lack of sebum secreted by the sebaceous glands;
- is vulnerable to many external and internal aggravators.
The choice of a proper skincare strategy helps reduce these signs and make the face surface radiant and fresh. A serum for sensitive skin comes as an effective product that helps speed up skin rejuvenation and tackle the problem.
What is a Face Serum?
Facial serums are highly charged blends of active ingredients. Usually, only one or two components dominate the composition. Their high concentration results in boosting cellular processes and activating skin renovation.
The main functions of serums for the face include hydration, restoration of water balance, increasing the level of skin density, cell regeneration, smoothing wrinkles, lightening pigmentation, etc.
Benefits of Serum for Sensitive Skin
Compared to moisturizers, serums have a greater penetration depth. Note that serums do not replace all skin care products, but they will make them more effective. For example, the application of hyaluronic serum before a moisturizing cream will reinforce the effect and boost cellular processes. Here are the key benefits of serums:
- They cause targeted action. Serums are essential for dehydrated, problematic, age-related, rosacea-prone, oily, and sensitive skin. Depending on the skin problem, choose a suitable product.
- Serums are capable of causing any action. Depending on the composition, they tone, nourish, moisturize, whiten, smooth wrinkles, remove swelling, regulate sebum production, eliminate post-acne, protect against UV radiation, etc.
- They contain the maximum concentration of active ingredients. In serums, their volume reaches 70%, while in most creams, tonics, peels, and other care products, they are no more than 5-10%.
After all, serums are very economical; just 2-3 drops are enough for each application. A 30 ml bottle will last for a long time even with regular use of the product.
Should people with sensitive skin use serums?
Sensitive skin features a sharp reaction to any external or internal change. Thus, it needs constant help in calming and soothing the skin`s surface. Face serum for sensitive skin is able to eliminate the negative effect of aggravating factors and minimize the consequence of stress. By powering cells with targeted ingredients, they will cope with problems easier and faster. So, yes, serums are beneficial for people with sensitive epidermis.
Which ingredients are good for sensitive skin?
Sensitive skin needs calming. So, when choosing appropriate serum for sensitive cells, pay attention to compositions. Dermatologists recommend choosing products that contain the following ingredients:
- Hyaluronic acid. Sensitive skin easily loses moisture because its protective functions are weakened. Hyaluronic acid is designed to maintain a sufficient level of skin moisture. In its natural form, it is contained in the human body, and, therefore, is perceived by cells as a "native" ingredient.
- Aloe Vera. The extract moisturizes and nourishes the skin, helps strengthen its immune defenses (due to the content of antioxidants and minerals), and soothes and stimulates recovery processes.
- Olive oil. The component promotes the speedy healing of wounds and burns, strengthens the protective barrier, and helps the epidermis to function normally.
- Chamomile extract. The ingredient promotes skin regeneration, has a bactericidal and anti-inflammatory effect, relieves irritation, and soothes the face surface.
- Green tea extract. Due to the high content of vitamins and antioxidants, this ingredient helps improve blood circulation in the skin and has a decongestant effect.
- Allantoin. It helps soothe sensitive skin, relieves itching and flaking, softens the face surface, and eliminates inflammation.
- Bisabolol. It is a "classic" for sensitive skincare. Manufacturers prefer it for its pronounced soothing properties and anti-inflammatory effect.
How do I choose a face serum for sensitive skin?
Note that when choosing the best hydrating serum for sensitive skin, you should take into account what skin problem you need to tackle. Thus, examine the face surface first and identify problems. Once you realize the weaknesses of your skin, get down to selecting proper products. Pay attention to:
- Content. Study the composition and find out what active ingredients are used in products.
- Brand. The trustworthiness and reputation of a manufacturer mean a lot. So, pay attention to what certificates and rewards a producer has.
- Customer feedback. Read what real consumers say about products.
- Price. Look for products that satisfy your budget. Note that not always the best product is the most expensive one.
How do we test serums?
Dermoi is a team of truly dedicated specialists in the sphere of dermatology and cosmetology. We have professional chemists, dermatologists, and cosmetologists on our team. We unite our knowledge and expertise to find the best products for skincare on the market and make sure that our clients use 100% safe and effective products.
Our task is to compare skincare products offered on the UK market, make professional clinical tests, and choose the best ones for our clients. When analyzing our samples, we do all the required clinical tests, study chemical compositions, and contact manufacturers if we need to clarify some issues.
Best Serums for Sensitive Skin
Now, let`s move on to the list of the best serums for sensitive skin.
- Osmosis Rescue epidermal repair serum is the best serum for sensitive skin dermatologist recommended. The product is powered with high-active components to provide a gentle effect and care for the sensitive epidermis. The blend of Ozonized Ethyl Oleate, Trioxolane, and Cyclodextrin acts targeted, reducing inflammation and soothing pores. The product is effective in calming redness, activating epidermal wound repair, and creating skin barrier properties. The product reinforces the natural processes occurring in cells to improve the epidermal resistance to all sorts of aggravators.
- Osmosis calm gentle retinal serumis a super-powerful treatment for sensitive cells. The composition is rich in Retinaldehyde .0375%, Lactic Acid, Niacinamide, Peptides, Sea Buckthorn Extract, and Willow Herb. These components are effective in reducing inflammation, increasing nutrient supply to cells, and high hydrating. A powerful blend boosts cellular processes and improves skin renovation properties. As a result, sensitive skin is soothed; its condition is normalized to withstand negative environmental impacts.
- PCA skin retinol treatment for sensitive skinis the best serum for sensitive skin in the UK for night application. The product is designed to nourish and soothe cells during the night. Retinol (Vitamin A) comes as its main ingredient. It is designed for reducing fine lines and mottled patches and boosting collagen synthesis. Besides, Niacinamide, Bisabolol, Hexylresorcinol, and Ceramide NP are found in the content. These components help improve skin condition, even the face surface, brighten complexion, and reduce redness.
- Codex labs antu brightening serumis an effective tool for helping sensitive cells regain a healthy state. It is formulated by AntuComplex that helps hydrate cells and create a protective barrier. Hydrolysed Hibiscus Esculentus Extract and Milk Thistle Ester cause a healing anti-inflammatory effect, soothing cells and reducing aching. The result of serum application is a highly hydrated fresh-looking skin surface without blackheads and blemishes. It forms a reliable protective layer on the face surface, which does not let environmental aggressors penetrate into cells.
Cosmetologists call face serums a real energy cocktail for the epidermis, especially if you have sensitive skin. This is because the concentration of active substances in their compositions is almost 2 times higher than in other products like a cream or gel. This allows serums to penetrate deeper into skin layers, which comes as the most effective way to achieve a favorable visible result.
So, the best serum for sensitive skin reduces the production of sebum and prevents the recurrence of acne. In addition, it has a calming, sebum-regulating, and matting effect.
The product can be used both at a young and at a more mature age; it all depends on the problem with which you are going to tackle. Modern manufacturers offer a wide range of products for any problem.
er. A vitamin A serum for the face tightens pores and is effective for acne, as well as fights pigmentation.